Pages

Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 25, 2010

I Cut It!

Holy Shiite Muslims! I cut it.


I cut my hair. I had been itching to do it and I did it. I had to because I my hair, when I washed it, had a lot straight looking pieces. Those pieces are definitely not part of my natural hair journey. The heat that was applied to my hair really straightened my hair and I've lost my curl pattern. Inspired by all the big chops and my desire to truly go natural I cut my hair.

Now, I'm not completely going bald, but I did trim off a lot. Yeah, call me a chicken. Mostly the sides and back of my hair. I cut those parts really short. The top of my hair actually looks fine and has retained it's curl pattern so I left that alone. I know my hair will be growing at different lengths, but I don't care. I'll try to make it work. I cut my hair at line of demarcation (see previous posts) wherever I could see it. This was after I co-washed my hair and deep conditioned it.

I have recently learned about the best way to co-wash natural and deep condition it. I am going to start a regimen and see how it works for me. Here is what I did:

I used a spray bottle to spritz my hair with water (I made sure I had a towel over my shoulders) and applied a large dollop of Hello Hydration by Herbal Essence. This conditioner I've heard rave reviews about even though it has 'cones (silicones which can be drying to hair and cause buildup). My resolution to long term side-effects of Hello Hydration to shampoo once every two weeks to rid of buildup. I'm just going to see how it works for me and I'll report the results when I can. I massaged the Hello Hydration in my hair for several minutes making sure I'm massaging my scalp and getting ever section of my hair coated with conditioner. Then, I went into the shower to wash up and wash my hair. After, the rinse out, I did NOT use a towel because terry cloth towels can soak up oils and make curly hair frizzy. I used an old T-shirt instead to light drain of excess water. Next, I used Carol's Daughter Hair Smoothie mixed with regular clover honey in my hair. Honey is a humectant and helps your hair to be soft. It also helps seal edges to prevent breakage. This is my deep conditioner treatment that I will do once a week. I used the moments apply the smoothie and honey to detangle my hair using my fingers and very minimally a wide tooth shower comb. I placed my hair in a plastic cap and I put on my head a heated conditioning cap. I sat with the heated conditioning cap for 30 minutes and rinse out the conditioner with lukewarm water. I shook my hair in the shower to get my curls (the ones I have on the top of my head to spring out). I again used a T-shirt to lightly dry off the excess water. I applied the smoothie again and Carol's Daughter Tui Jojoba and Shea Butter Sheen. I actually put on a little too much smoothie because I could see it my hair, but later on it absorbed in my hair. I know better next time. I also spritz on CD's Black Vanilla Leave-in Conditioner. I think it turned out good. I put some EVOO on my sides. I rarely used a comb and I didn't use a brush, so my sides and edges look a bit rough. I'm not gonna use brush because I was reading it could cause breakage.

I know I'll get better with time in taking care my hair. My hair and I are dating right now and trying to get to know each to what each other likes and dislikes. Hopefully, in the future, we'll learn to stay committed to each other and live harmoniously and happily together forever.

I also might add, the sides of my hairline are filling in quite nicely and it's only been two months.

1 comment:

  1. You should have told me you started a blog! I love it, you are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete